Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Mailing list in Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerasi

Programmer
Jun 19, 2000
CA
I just figured out a simple solution for setting up an external Distribution List in Exchange. My problem was how to setup an External Distribution List (i.e. abc@hotmail.com, blah@yahoo.com, etc.) so users can Add/Remove contacts from it without having to mess around with Active Directory. Here's what I came up with...

I created a new user in Active Directory called "Public Distribution Lists" (that's right first name "Public" last name "Distribution Lists")
I then used a workstation to login as that user, opened outlook and shared his contacts folder (pretty simple to do in Outlook 2003).
That's it, now users can use the "open shared contacts" link to use the shared contact list of "Public Distribution Lists" and if they have the proper access rights to "Public Distribution List"'s contacts folder they can Add/Remove Distribution Lists, Add/Remove Contacts from those Distribution Lists and send email to the list/s.

I like that solution, I think it's simple and users don't have to mess around with Active Directory.
I thought I'll pass that along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back