Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External mail gateway for Groupwise 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkesting

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2003
US
I built a Postfix linux box that will do anti-spam/anti-virus for my Groupwise system. Is there anything I need to do to the GW system to get it to route mail through the gateway? I have already changed the MX record for the domain so all incoming mail comes to the postfix box and then is relayed to the GW box. Is that all?

Thanks.

You have to tell GWIA that it will be using a relay host for outbound mail instead of sending directly from GWIA out to the internet.

"The GWIA expects by default to send directly to the Internet; it does not have a relay in the way, so we need to tell it. As you are using GroupWise 7, we want to use ConsoleOne to insert the changes, as with GroupWise 7.0.1 the GWIA.CFG is no longer updated.

In the GWIA pages of ConsoleOne Properties, under the SMTP/MIME tab, you will see that there are two entries in the middle of the page where you can add hostnames - one for your GWIA and the second (lower) one for the relay. If you use an IP number, then the system is slightly quicker, as the hostname is not looked up each time.

So, let me see if I have this straight.......

For incoming mail it's just a matter of changing the MX record to point to the new gateway, for outgoing messages change the properties in ConsoleOne under SMTP/MIME of the GWIA? Do I add addresses in both the GWIA and relay hostname fields?

Yes, for incoming, you tell your external gateway to send inbound mail to the IP address of your GWIA server. That should be all there is it to that.

For outbound, you really only need to add the IP address in the Relay host field, but you can put in your DNS name for your GWIA server. I don't see a reason not to, but make sure that address resolves properly internally.

Look here for where in ConsoleOne that you set these options. It's the the first section and picture.

Google this (below) and it's the first match. For some reason I can't get the link to this exact page.
"46.1.1 Configuring Basic SMTP/MIME Settings

That is perfect. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back