Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Mail Exchanger woes (sendmail currently)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numbski

MIS
Mar 27, 2001
US
I have a mess on my hands. I just took over an ISP from some guys that didn't like to keep house very much so to speak.

We have three systems. System number 1 is what I like to call my user machine. People log in, check e-mail, host websites.

Systems 2 and 3 are the primary and secondary mail exchangers. Both have sendmail configured so that if mail is destined for mydomain, pass it along to machine 1. If it's not, check the /etc/virtusertable, or bounce it.

Sounds like a pretty slick setup, right?

Until you bring virtual hosts into the mess. If someone wants to host thisdomain on machine 1, then I have to add all their e-mail users to machines 2 and 3. That gets messy if they have, say 100 users. I'd like to be able to specify complete domains on Systems 2 and 3, and tell them to pass the entire domain to machine 1, and find the local users. This would also be useful if we have domains only hosting web pages, but have their own mail servers on site.

It sounds simple, but it can't be done from the virtusertable, because if you put in a line like this:

@thisdomain

You have to specify an e-mail address, not a machine. (I think?)

Right now we have two types of lines in the virtusertables:

@thisdomain user@mydomain.com
user@thisdomain user@mydomain.com

I will say that I'm not opposed to using different software to accomplish this. I've heard time and again that there are better alternatives to sendmail. I'm open minded.

Hi Numbski,

If you're looking for an alternative to sendmail, I suggest you start your investigations with qmail.

Mike

"Experience is the comb that Nature gives us, after we are bald."

Is that a haiku?
I never could get the hang
of writing those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back