Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Hard drive sleeps when trasferring large files from it. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimoke

Technical User
Jan 28, 2008
GB
Hi Everyone,
I have recently recieved an external hard drive as a birthday gift, but am experiencing some problems. when transferring large files [tons of music] my hard drive goes into sleep mode, and the led goes from green to constant red. It flashes green and red when it is in use, but when i am trying to transfer large files, it seems to just give up, and wont do anything until i reboot it. This is really important to me as my brother has an Ipod and it is empty! All replies are greatly appreciated. Cheers,
Chris.
[In device manager it describes the drive as "SAMSUNG HA320KJ USB Device"]

How are you trying to transfer them?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

That's strange since there's not any inactivity that should trigger power reduction/sleep mode.

Just for the heck of it, go into Device Manager and into the properties of the drive, then Power Mangement and tell Windows not to allow power to be reduced to save energy.

Hi Guys,

acewarlock- I'm transferring the songs to the ipod via itunes, and windows explorer for everything else. But the wierdest thing is that even when only transferring about 100 songs to the ipod, it will show no signs of struggle and then suddenly the light turns red, and the transfer stops. Windows and itunes still thinks its there though, it just keeps saying that its transferring. i've tried letting it think for a while, but no results. when transferring 5 gb of photos through windows explorer, from my internal to this external, it did the same thing. I had to copy and paste a few hundred at a time. I took goombawaho's advice, and changed the settings to performance, rather than quick release mode. I'm testing that now, and it 'seems' to be going ok. will try with ipod soon though. Cheers,
Chris.

Hi Guys,
Changing the power settings didnt change anything, I started transferring about 20 gig of music from the external to the internal drive C:, and about 3 quarters of the way in, the red glow of doom appeared. i've got warrenty, so i might just go down that route. Extremeley annoyed though, as this is my media hard drive, and i have just got album art for every album in media player, all 150 of them! Cheers,
Chris.

Did you try to copy smaller chunks of data? Try something like groups of 500 files at a time. I have had trouble copying large amounts of data all at once, but could copy it in smaller chunks.

Old Tech Guy

hello bro & sis

just wana ask my pc problem when i using my pc for an hour its automatically shutting down in hardware malfunction appeared on screen/system halted kindly give some advised for this problem.

Hi Guys,
oldtechguy- Yes, transferring smaller chunks works with windows explorer, but in itunes, it will pause even when transferring about 60 songs. Itunes transfers everything it has at once, and there's no way of stopping it as far as i know. I can just wait till it pauses, and repeat the transfer, but i shouldnt have to. I've contacted the seller and am awaiting a reply. Might just be a faulty one. Cheers for all the help everyone,
Chris.

ronqui,

This is most commonly a driver issue or a hardware incompatibility issue. But to better get a solution to your situation, you need to start a new thread. And I would suggest starting it over at forum602 or perhaps in a forum for your version of Windows.

In my little bit of experience, I've had more issues with wireless cards that cause this sort of thing than any other piece of hardware. If you have a wireless adapter in this computer, I'd start there first... but I'd go ahead and start that new thread.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Hi guys,
All sorted out now. After trying everything Short throwing it through the window, i thought i would try installing the windows 98 installation disk, jut for the heck of it. after that was finished, everything worked perfectly. I'd just like to say thanks to everyone that helped me, your all brilliant people. Cheers,
Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back