Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External hard drive damaged since chkdisc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GladysPym

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
GB
I run W7 on a laptop, and have an external (externally powered, not USB powered) SATA hard drive for backup connected by USB2 cable.

A few days ago, on connecting, Windows kept suggesting I check the drive, as in "D'you want it checked, or shall we just leave it" - I've forgotten the actual wording.

After a few times, I said yes, go ahead and check it.

Windows (chkdisc, I assume) found some problems, and said it had put recovered files into a 'Found' directory in the root of the external drive.

However, now when I connect the disc it mutters away to itself for a while, and then Windows suggests I need to format it before I can use it.

Given that I have about 300Gb of backup data (backup as in NO LONGER ANYWHERE ELSE!) I'm unwilling to do this.

Any ideas? Please? This has about 10 years of holiday photos on it which I'm gonna really miss.

I've looked around for recovery software, but nothing really seems to be helping.

Please?

G

First things first - as opposed to pulling the drive out right away. Find out what brand of hard drive is in the enclosure, then download the manufacturer's test for that drive. Make sure you point it to the external drive (not to get it confused with the internal boot drive).

Let the test run and see what it says.

If it can't be run on the external drive or the drive is not seen at all, you may have to do what Lemon13 said, but I just wouldn't start there.

Second, if the drive is seen in windows device manager/disk management, try GetDataBack for NTFS to search the drive and see if data is recoverable. If it's visible in the recovery program, it will likely be recoverable. If not, you will need to seriously look at a professional recovery service to get it off (after trying the removal method as a last step).

Hey, thanks for that.
Tried GetDataBack for NTFS, and most of the data seems to be fine.

NOW all I need is another drive to put the files on, and I'm winning :)

G

And to pay for the program - the trial isn't functional for restoring.

I wouldn't leave that drive running forever - it may be on the edge of crapping out.

What DID the hard drive diagnostic program tell you about the drive, or did you not run them??

A perfect example of why I don't trust ANYTHING including CHKDSK to scan and make alterations on hard drives unless I've got a clone or backup of the drive/data first!

As Goom says, that drive may be about to fail - get your data off and secure PDQ.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

PARANOID ALERT. I've never had CHKDSK cause a problem - period. The truth is that the problem was already there and would have taken you down anyway at some point, especially if the hard drive was actually having a physical problem.

Running the chkdsk, in my opinion, should NOT be considered risky, but a data backup should be standard and almost implied if you start to smell trouble.

You should have a regular backup and then do a specific backup when you have a hint of any problem.

PARANOID ALERT? No...

I didn't actually say that running CHKDSK per se would CAUSE a problem. However, it can definitely tip a dodgy drive 'over the edge' in my experience. Despite my repeated suggestions, most of my (residential) users still fail to backup their data! Hence I make a clone or backup first...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Just my experience that even, for example, when running a CHKDSK /f on a drive with known problems (diagnosed after the chkdsk /f was taking 3 hours), no data was harmed.

I just canceled the check and then ran the manufacturer's diagnostic on it and bingo - tons of errors. Got data off and said goodbye to the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back