Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Email Status Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mviltan

Technical User
Mar 27, 2001
GB
Does anyone know how to see if an email sent externally has been opened? I know how to do it internally. Is there any software than can help with this?

If the other user/system is also running GroupWise it is possible using DNS txt records. If they are running something else, I don't think so.

Patrick

The short answer is, you can only have that functionality if it is a GW 5.5 system and you are a GW 5.5 system.

Here's some exact detail from Novell:

"Unfortunately, when the message is handled by some entity other than the GroupWise MTA, such as the GroupWise Internet Agent or the SMTP gateway, GroupWise message functionality is limited...

GroupWise 5.5 now offers system administrators another connectivity option if they want their users to communicate with users on other GroupWise 5.5 systems across the Internet, without requiring configuration of external domains or links.

When GroupWise messages travel across a dynamic Internet link, no GroupWise functionality is lost. Users can use well-known Internet address syntax to send messages, appointments, tasks, and notes to other GroupWise 5.5 users outside their organizations. "

...(Quoting from GroupWise 5.5 Manual, section on Connectivity)

There is a product called Egotit which is designed to track email sent anywhere. I came accross it on an email sent to me, the link to the site is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back