Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External drive choices. need help and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlchris2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
I was asked to provide a LOW-COST email archiving solution to our end users. My only option at this time is to purchase some RAID capable external disk array.

currently running exchange 2003 with outlook clients. I was going to use GPO or similar to point all users archive location to this external storage space. I have a GBit network where my servers are stored and 100MB network between that location and my corporate office, where users are located. Currently there are 100 end users. Some users have large archives 1GB or more.

I am concerned about read/write speeds. I found a GBit RAID1 drive that looks like it might work, but wonder how 1Gbit Ethernet compares to SCSI/iSCSI or SATA.

I've searched a bit on google and found a few options. many of which exceed my budget.

Any recommentations would be great.

Mark C.

an update... I was just asked to look at a RAID5 unit, so i guess my budget just got increased a little bit....

Mark C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back