Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Database Connection with Web Parts (Need Help With)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaltonA

Programmer
Jan 17, 2006
US
I’m trying build a simple web part that will query an external database, get a list of job numbers, populate a dropdown list with the job numbers, and display the populated dropdown in the web part. I’m using ODBC connections and the web part is failing when deployed. I can’t find much information on this subject (perhaps just looking in the wrong places). Is it ok to use ODBC method with web parts? If not, what is the correct method for connecting to and querying external databases? Links to related documentation/tutorials as well as any advice would be appreciated. This is my first web part (not counting Hello World) and is a proof of concept for some other applications we have in mind for webparts.

Bump. Update, I've tried numerous solutions, the latest of which is to deploy the web part to the GAC with the InstallerAssembly tool from Microsoft. Including the ODBC object still causes the web part and SharePoint to choke when it's added to the page. I'm stumped. I though it might be a permissions problem, but putting in in the GAC should solve that, correct? I find it hard to believe that SOMEONE out there hasn't had a similar experiece. How do all you other developers make webparts to query external databases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back