Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exterior Jack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaoldschl

MIS
May 17, 2001
US
Does anyone know a good manufacturer of an outside plant solution for an RJ45 connection?

I need to provide a network connection for a shared services vehicle that is on location two days a week, the jack will be outside the building and, being in New England, subject to extreme weather so I need something that will provide heavy duty protection. I've searched all my vendor catalogues and been able to find no acceptable solution. Any leads will be appreciated.

I am not sure if there is a good solution for this issue. I have seen where offices with a CONNEX (external office)will have an RJ45 connection port on the outside of both the main building and the connex. They are then both covered by an external weather proof cable box with an opening just big enough for the cable when needed. When the box is closed around the cable a little rubber 1/2 washer then seals the cable so water does not get inside the box. when they need to connect a cable is then connected to both ports and the weather proof boxes are then closed shut. Does this make sence or help? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

That's the idea I had for it but I've been to my local supplier and pored through my Graybar catalogue to find something that fit the bill to no avail, I was really just looking for some names of manufacturers of such hardware so I could pick and choose the proper equipment for my circumstance.

I am sorry I dont know. I believe the places I deal with had a cabling service install the boxes. Have you thought about contacting them? Or even the Phone company. The boxes are similar to the ones used by the phone companies. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I do all the voice and data installation for my organization, I just haven't encountered a need like this in the past. I actually have a NID (the boxes the phone company uses) that I was thinking about modifying but just wanted to check and see if anybody knew of a solution specific to the task. Thanks for your help, I'll keep looking.

...Thought about a standard outdoor electrical receptable with its hinged and grommeted cover? The jack type you would need then would be, for example, Panduit's Mini-Com "106" style module frame--these fit the form factor of the generic electrical outlet.

These module frames can accept up to four modules for voice or data. Part numbers, for example, CF1064WH, or CF1064EI. Check Panduit web site for details and they can be ordered from Graybar.

Panduit also has Dust Covers, Part Number MDC-C. This cover inserts into the jack itself, giving double protection, in addition to the overall receptacle hinged cover.

Because these Panduit jacks have the full 50 microinches of gold on the pins, they should hold up well enough.

Yours
Mike

How about trying this..... Thomas and Betts makes Weatherproof covers for "In Use Applications. There are several varieties depending on you specific application. Used in combination with 110 volt duplex inserts for Cat5 jacks, should do the trick.

T&B Part Number WTSD15A-C. Got yo and select Electrical Catalog. Search on the part number. Select "View Product Catagory" for a better view.

Keith M. Wolcott, RCDD

Daniel Woodhead Compay offers exactly what you need.

The RJ-Lnxx connector will work in those situations. I found it in the new product section of the Newark catelog.

They have weatherproof cables and receptacles.

Tom
Instrumentation Engineer
Caterpillar Inc

Thanks for all the input, I got it done, I ended up using an exterior electrical enclosure, slightly modified, and that seems to have done the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back