Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extension in use # to register sonicwall vpn timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjerms

Technical User
Sep 15, 2005
US
I have a sonicwall vpn setup one end is a 3060 the other is a tz170.

The TZ170 end has a ip hard phone connected to it and it works if you reboot the phone, but then if you leave it setting for a while it will stop working.

When you reboot the phone it says extension in use # to register.

I figure it must be some timeout or something on the sonicwall.

Any ideas on what might be causing this or a fix?

This sometimes happens on a VPN setup when the VPN connection drops and then reconnects.

I am not sure about a workaround but if you press the # key and press it again to accept the extension and the phone then asks about unregister use and press # again and then it should log on again.

I would go to your VPN settings and see if there is a VPN keep alive option (usually it is an option to ping an address on the other network to keep the connection alive)

Your VPN is probably disconnecting after x inactivity try.

For remote users I am using a Zxytel 662H-61 adsl modem with VPN connecting to an netgear fv114 router at the office end, the VPN is very stable it remains connected all the time and phone is always connected no problems. Very occassionaly the VPN connection restarts and I have to register the phone again but very rarely, normally if I have reconnect the phone it just boots and comes up with its extension.

The problem is that the phone still thinks its still connected. I have to actually unplug the phone to get it to the Press # dialog. It happens all the time within ten to 20 minutes. I read that it might be the phone Its a 4602. Anyone have any ideas if the 56xx phones have this problem too or just the 46xx series. I tried upgrading to the lates firmware.

Sonicwall support has been no help.

I'll have to try different firewalls the sonicwalls are expensive enough that they should work.

I got a 56xx phone hooked it up and now phone stays up fine.

Its an issue with 4602 ip phone causing timeout over vpn.

Lucky we don't have many 46xx ip phones out there.

Sonicwalls work great, good sound quality.

Sonicwalls can also proiritize packets with enhanced os.

Per AVAYA,

If you use sonicwall check the following:

The Enhanced version of the sonicwall OS increases throughput of the voice packets 100% so if you have a lot of remote users use the Enhanced OS.

The Wan MTU size must be set for 1404. This will allow the IPSEC overhead in the VPN tunnels to not be fragmented.

The Fragment non-VPN outbound packets larger then MTU should be checked

Ignore DF bit checked

under the firewall tab there is a VoIP tab. Make sure you have consistent Nat enabled. Depending on the phone system you will need to enable H.323 transformations OR SIP transformations(leave everything else defaulted) The rest of the settings in there are for remote PBX's. For example you just sell phones to company A and Trinet manages the PBX at their facility as well as managing the PSTN. It's basically for subscription based VoIP services like Vonage.

VPN settings

You will need to play with the encryption to determine which is the best solution for the remote clients. Remember the more encryption the more chance for jitter and delay do to packet overhead.

advanced VPN settings enable fragmented packet handling and Nat Traversal. uncheck enable IKE Peer detection.

Firewall policies. Make sure the VPN users have acls to allow them to access the PBX on Avaya's port numbers. or just open the policies for the VPN users because they should be trusted anyway since they have a user name and password.

This is what we did to enable this for Bob. However I have a Cisco IP phone system with another client and didn't have to do anything to their Sonicwall. So the key here is you got to play with it to make all the vendors agree on something.

Thanks for the info I'll try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back