Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extension dealing out of main greeting/ auto attendant

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblingrebel

IS-IT--Management
Nov 25, 2010
CA
I have a request from a customer that i'm not sure can be done
and i'm not sure i'm searching here or the internet properly for the answer

the customer has one employee that is really the centre of their organization
but customers know his extension
they are hitting his extension right away when AA comes on (theres a decent list of options in CCR, but most are seeming to bypass and just enter this persons extension)

i've turned off "Dial By Name"
but can i disable extension dialling out of AA?

if so can someone point me in the area?

thanks for any insight
rr

In the Call Pilot Manager under Auto-Attendant then Table 1 or what ever table that you are using select Disable DN Dialing.. But when they dial the extension they will immediately go to voicemail rather than ringing at the telephone associated with the extension. Not too sure if it can be completely turned off. Maybe one of the guys on here may have a trick....

Or maybe change his extension

I agree, it will go to that user's mailbox instead, only option is to turn off voice mail for everyone.
Start at the root....how do they even know the persons ext?
If they advertise it such as business card then not much they can do about that.
But..
If any of these:
-"please press # for the company directory -change the mailbox to "Directory = No" or change the greeting not to mention the directory
-They have their Directory Greeting recorded as "Joe Blow ext 222" -change it to just "Joe Blow"

Otherwise change the DN/Mbox to a new one.
Record old mailbox as "Alternate", greeting as "press 0 for assistance", "Leave message = No" and finally setup that Target Attendant 0 to point to where you want.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I would give the user a new DN/Mailbox and do as Curly suggests. Keep the current mailbox active, delete the DN field (makes it a phantom mailboxU. Use the ALT greeting in the old mailbox with a recording telling the caller what to do and set "Leave message" = no.

Either turn off dial by name or change the users name in the directory.

External callers who dial the old DN would go direct to voice mail as there is now no DN associated with mailbox
Internal callers would get "Not in Service" warning.

Marv ccna

thanks all, i'm going to start making subtle changes
its a bit of a call centre set up in a hunt group
i don't think business cards or announcements mentioned extensions,
but i have suggested doing subtle steps
so the hunt group stuff isn't disturbed

i'd like to tear it all down and start fresh, but the users don't even like subtle changes
where the owner just wants it to stop
the one employee is a little overwhelmed

thanks again
rr

Well if callers are bypassing a hunt group by dialing an individual DN, just forward that DN to the hunt group and give the user a new DN.

Marv ccna

so far just disabling the dn dealing and turning off dial by name is working
but i warned the customer the next step is reassigning extension numbers for hunt group members

took 10 minutes before i got an emergency call from the business owner saying a customer called complaining "I Dialled 1 out of the menu and got voicemail"
told the business owner to try it....she got the hunt group
told her don't believe everything people tell her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back