Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extension Alarm reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerencePalmerAU

Technical User
Sep 27, 2011
Hi

We currently have a number of NEC ICS1X0; IPX260; IMX240; IVS2000 and SV8300 with analogue and DTERMS connected. Some are running older versions of software.

I need to be able to produce a report that show all disconnected analogue and DTERMS.

The follwoing question was asked of my PABX provider: " I have been asked by Terence if a LLEN is programmed but there is no phone connected, does the PABX generate an alarm OR can we run a report to find programmed LLENS that are not connected to a handset?"

The response from the PABX provider was: "TDM doesn’t have this feature, in that there are no analog notifications, and with Dterms, we only get an alarm if the cable is short circuit / faulty, but not if it’s open / unplugged. I’m not aware of any other way or telling what’s plugged in / programmed. We can only get Vacant LEN info."

As the PABX provider charges as for each programmed port it appears in their best interest that they do not provide us with such a report.

Any info on how to retrieve a list of the dissconnected analogue and DTERMS would really be appriciated.

Ok

So just to confirm, There are no reports whatsoever to give the information you are seeking! However the company who is billing you should be able to give you a traffic report and a list of extensions being billed for . This will narrow down the discrepancies. The next simple step it have all the zero traffic extensions pegged out (temporarily disconnected). Then wait till people scream about being disconnected (make sure you are aware of any emergency services that may go through the systems and cater for them). After all else has been ruled out there are sill some ways to eliminate errors. For example, make up two leads with Krone plugs on the end , one a disconnect and the other a straight through.

First connect a dterm to the suspect dterm circuit using the disconnect plug (if it comes up it is a valid circuit) then connect again using the straight through Krone plug. If the dterm comes up then the odds are it is a spare circuit, if it doesn't then there is probably a phone on the end of the line (you can't connect two dterms in parallel)

As for analogues you will have to be a bit more electronically savvy to work those out! it is possible to create a krone plug which gives am indication if a phone (or other piece of equipment) is connected. Simply use a disconnect krone plug and strap one leg straight through. On the other leg use two LEDs connected in parallel back to back in serial with the circuit and as the LEDs are current dependant devices, if you plug the modified krone plug into an analogue circuit and ring the associated number, then if there is a device connected, through which the current can flow, the leds will flicker with the ring current. If no device is connected there will be no LED action. However this is is not an exact science. You may get false positives due to line loss or false negatives due to high REN equipment!

I don't envy you the task!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back