Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending wireless range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

askani

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
US
I recently attempted to set up my wireless network at home. I have a D-Link DLW-1000AP (which is connected to the switch where my two computers and dsl modem/router are) and a D-Link DLW 900AP (which I was going to connect to my X-Box) and soon to have a wirless card for my laptop. Originally I place the 1000AP in my computer room (basement). I used my laptop and the 900AP to test the network connection. I could only get a signal as far as maybe 10ft. I figured either something in the room or maybe all the computer equipment there was interferring with the signal. So, I moved the 1000AP over to the next room (about 10ft) and can now get signal through most of my house (except for my room and my sister's room). So I moved it maybe 5-6ft over (still in the same room) and can somewhat get a signal in my sister's room, but still not in mine. Problem here is that I don't have enough ethernet cable (only have 25ft) to move the WAP into the next room. Even if I were able to do so, that room (basement living room) has lot of stero equipment and such and like my computer room could interfere with the signal. So, I was wondering if I could use the 900AP to act as a repeater/bridge to recarry the signal further and connect my X-Box to my laptop (using the ethernet port)? if that is not possible would getting an attenae for the 1000AP solve my problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back