Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending wired access wirelessly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

acl03

MIS
Jun 13, 2005
US
Kind of a weird thread subject, couldn't think of a better way to word it.

I have a wireless router next to my cable modem. I have some other non-wireless devices that I would like to connect in another room, but I don't want to run a wire from the router to the other room.

Can I buy a second wireless router (which includes a 4-port switch) and have the two wireless routers talk to each other, and plug devices in with wires on the remote router?

I was thinking about buying two of these, but I can't tell by reading the manual if they would support it. I assume only the remote one needs to support it (is this "bridge" mode?)

Thanks,
Andrew

[smarty] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

There are ways of doing this but what devices are you looking to use?

I don't have either device yet...looking to buy something that will work as cheaply as possible.

Thanks,
Andrew

[smarty] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

Let me clarify, what devices do you want to run off the second wireless device?

Oh - Tivo and an Xbox. I could probably buy external wireless devices for each, but I thought this would be cheaper.

Basically, would like to get wired ports in the second room without having to run a wire.

Thanks,
Andrew

Linksys will have to products your looking for. Your best bet would a router for internet connection and a wireless bridge for each device. It is possible to connect 2 routers wireless but I do not suggest that.

Thanks for your advice.

Thanks,
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back