Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending the system partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leozack

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
GB
Here's a quicky which is really just a pull at a short straw. I've come across some PCs that have run out of room on their C drive, but have ample space on their D drive (same physical drive, different partitions) because D is empty basically. I can't install things to D because they share shortcuts with PCs where things are installed to C.
So I need to get the space from D back to C. I've removed the D partition etc, but I can't find anything familiar from old MCSE stuff about extending partitions etc other than making it a new drive as a
mounted folder, which isn't what I'm after.

Basically - is there any way at all to enlarge the C partition? If not, I'll have to kill it and start everything from fresh on 1 big partition, and naturally anything else would be preferable ;)

You need a program like PQMagic - may have changed its name as Mr Norton has bought it now - it is very good and allows you to play about with all your disk partitions.

You may find a few freeware/shareware programs that will also do it for you - as far as I know Windows does not support extending partitions.

Back-up any important data before you re-size your partition.

Good luck
John

Use a third party partition manager like: Partition Magic

Or free program like BootIt NG. I used a few weeks ago to shrink C and enlarge D.

BootIt NG or somethign that does what you say is exactly what I'm after. I can't afford to buy one as it's not for my personal use. I looked up BootIt NG and it doesn't appear to be freeware?

The only freeware program that does this is
Ranish Partition Manager

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

Thanks I just grabbed it. Will give it a test in a couple weeks. Hopefully I can make it play ball. I'll either make a bootdisk of it or run it after booting bart's pe or ultimate bootdisk for windows.
Viva freware!

What ever you end up with just make sure you have a recent backup of your valuable data. If resizing goes wrong, and they can, you may find a backup useful.

Incidentally, I believe BootIt NG's resizing program, is free to try, and even freer if you don't actually install it but just run it from floppy every time. I could be wrong, as it has been a while since I used it.

I can say, however, that I was pleased with the results obtained from BootIt NG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back