Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending the E: drive on W2K3 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdcr1

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2009
US
We have a Windows 2003 Server with Disk 0 with a total of 546Gb (Basic Disk). We have the C: drive showing 97Gb and the E: drive showing 314Gb, both in blue in the Windows Disk Management tool, and we have 136Gb unallocated in black. I want to add all of that 136Gb of space to the E: drive so that the E: drive has an increased total of 448Gb. This is a production server, so we have users currently using it, but my plan was to convert the basic disk to dynamic, but then would I be able to just right click that unpartitioned space and add it to E:? I'm looking at third party tools to see if they offer any way to this without losing any of the existing data. Thanks in advance!

Or you can just use the native diskpart command. Select the correct partition and extend the partition.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

I agree with mrdenny - I have used diskpart.exe on a number of servers successfully to extend disk partitions. It works almost instantaneously which can make you think that it has failed but it has not let me down yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back