Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending T1 from demarc via 25-pair 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voipnow

Vendor
Sep 2, 2011
US
I need to extend a T1 from demarc in basement to my suite on 1st floor - rooms are basically directly above/below each other. There is a 25-pair cable between the two rooms with only the white/blue, white/green and white/orange pairs being used. Suggestions/recommendations on how to extend the T1 using the open pair? I believe I only need 2 pair but should I use consecutive pairs?

For best results, use pairs in different color groups to minimize crosstalk. For such a short distance, it'll work just fine.

Here is a link to the normal color code
For best results use an A wire and a B wire in each pair as they are twisted to reduce interference

cw1308_colours.jpg

Thanks. So it would go like this?
Black/blue = pin 1 = transmit
Black = pin 2 = receive
Yellow/blue = pin 4 = transmit
Yellow = pin 5 = receive

Yes, but there is no "black" or "yellow" - the Ring conductor is the complementary to the Tip.

So you want to use

Black/blue = pin 1 - receive Tip
Blue/Black = pin 2 - receive Ring

Yellow/blue = pin 4 - Transmit Ring
Blue/Yellow = pin 5 - Transmit Tip

Thanks for clarifying the blue/black and blue/yellow. I was lazy in my typing. In your example is Pin 4 Ring and Pin 5 Tip? I thought is was the opposite.

It should not matter about tip and ring any more as most equipment has diodes in it now to determine the polarity for you.

@sbcsu - with a T1 circuit, polarity is VERY important. It's only four conductors, but they need to be spot-on.

As long as you have the first pair connected to the first pair connections and the second pair to its connections then it will work - that is there is no polarity inside the pair itself - but this does depend on the modem/supplier box that you are connecting it to

In my day, "gray" was called "slate". I was surprised to see "gry" in you color code table. ;)

Jim

Yes Slate is what I remember as well.
It's probably an international color/colour code....

In the old days before cat-3 and cat-5 cable we extended t-1's using non-consecutive pairs. I don't know if we need to or not we just did it. If you have cat-3 or cat-5 tie cable you can use consecutive pairs with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back