Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extending nortel fiber optic cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valtag

Technical User
Nov 28, 2003
US
thread799-1474095

dbullion (TechnicalUser) 16 May 08 13:16
I am installing 2 fiber stations modules on a Norstar MICS that is maxed out. These two modules are at the very end and the fiber cables that came with them are about 1 foot to short.Does anyone know where I can get Norstar Fiber Cables that are a little longer?Thanks.

______

I wanted to exten the cables as well and did a little research, the connector is a versatile link duplex P/N HFBR-4506Z. The fiber is a plastic optical fiber (POF) 1mm in diamiter P/N HFBR-R.

The POF has .19db loss per meter so long lenths between buildings probably isnt going to work. POF over 1KM is 190db of loss compared to 2.75db for a typical 50/125 1km glass fiber. But adding a few feet shouldnt be a problem.

links

Nortel makes a longer fiber cable. Can't remember the part number, but it's about 15' long. If you decide to make your own, let us know how it works out.

--DB

Suggest to swap NAM with KSU, the cables should be long enough if the NAM is to left of KSU an mods to the right of KSU or vice versa or mods on each side of KSU.

Otherwise try part# A0632902 or NTBK78AA

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back