Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending LinkSys WAG54G

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveh

Technical User
Jun 22, 2000
GB
I have a network using a LinkSys WAG54G modem/router, which has 4 ethernet connections and also a wireless network. I've got four housemates using the ethernet connections, and I'm using the wireless. However, I'm having some problems with the wireless inexplicably dropping out, so I'm wondering whether I can 'extend' the ethernet connections to the router available by using a hub.

I've got a small 4 port Intel InBusiness hub, and I was wondering whether if I plug my computer and one of my friends into this hub, and then plug the hub into one of the router's ethernet ports, will this work? If so, will it require any configuring, or would it just 'work'.

Thanks,
David.

If the hub has an uplink or crossover port, use that, if not the hub and the linksys will need a crossover cable cable to connect them.

(I read the spec sheet and the user guide on the Linksys, and it does not mention auto MDI/MDI-X support. the intel site hints that the hub has a crossover port.)

Other than that, it should 'just work'.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Hi, thanks for your quick reply... The back of the router hub (actually a 5 port one) has 5 "10BASE-T Devices" ports, and then a sixth which says "Out to Hub"... is this what you're talking about when you say "uplink or crossover port". If so, does that mean I do not require a crossover cable, so I can just use a standard ethernet cable?

Thanks,
Dave.

Yes that sounds like it, I would try a normal ethernet cable there first, before messing with crossovers.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back