Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending Fiber Cabling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiremd

Technical User
Apr 3, 2001
US
I have two buildings that are already cabled together via fiber optic cabling. I want to move the terminaion location in one building and need another 150-220' feet of cabling. What is the best way (most reliable and cheapest) to extend the cabling.....repeater, media converter, switch?

You don't say how far apart the buildings are but if they are in limits you could just use a coupler to add the required fiber. We do this at the school district for cost reasons but we are not passing "mission critical" data and can tolerate some loss in the signal. Your conditions may (will) vary.

The cheapest would just to use a 220 foot cable terminated M/F, the best would be to splice that cable permently

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

A mechanical splice can be done very cheeply. The splice case would probably be most expensive part. How many strands and what type of cable (outside plant, indoor/outdoor)? That would make a difference.
Easiest would be to run new cable, terminate it at both ends, and run jumpers. Probably the cheapest too. Preconnectorized cable sees to be more expensive, if you can do the terminations yourself. If not, then preconnectorized might be the way to go.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

Pretty tough to give a good answer without a few more details.
What are you running on this fiber? 100BaseT, Gig?
What type and size fiber?
How long is it now?
Will the current location be able to house a splice case or small wall-mount fiber enclosure?

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

Running Gig, not sure on fiber size or current length, but pretty sure I'm still within limits even with the added length. Cost is major factor here, and I don't want to be splicing or terminating, so it sounds like a 200' cable terminated M/F would be my best choice.... thanks for all your input.

There are gig combinations MMF 62.5 nm core that are only rated to 220 meters, so I would check all your specs as you are adding a third of that distance already.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

How are you going to match the fiber if you don't know what type you have?
For instance if you couple 62.5/125 to 50/125 you could introduce enough loss with the attenuation from the extra distance to give your gig connection less than desirable performance wise.
Do a little more research before you create a problem for yourself.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

Thanks for your concern... I'll be sure to check the cable/core size/type and length before attempting to match my added cable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back