Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending Cat 5 Cables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulpr90

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2002
GB
Hi all,

Can any1 help with a problem I have regarding cat 5. I need to move the patch panel about 6 feet from where it is currently located. This will mean that the cables will not be long enough to get to the patch panel. I need to extend the cables and I don't want to put RJ45 ends on every cable and then use an adaptor. I have looked online and I can't find a solution. Does any1 know if there is such a device or what it is called.

Many Thanks Paul..

See thread575-1297984 for some suggestions about extending CAT 5e cables.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

You could add another set of panels and patch between them to extend them where you need them. There are also cat 5 cross connect blocks out there that you could pull out the old panels and move the cable to the cross connect and then put the panels on the end of the new cables.

for 6' why not just use longer patch cords from the existing panel ?

You could do something like this.

IMG_0793.JPG

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read thread690-1323977

get a hoffman box (metal box w/lid - electrian use them as junction point)which come in several sizes. mount 110 punch block inside and hard chop existing cable to 110 block. add new cable to what ever length you need, back to re-located patch panel. the 110 punch block can handle up to cat 6 if installed correctly and is rated to cable specification. install hoffman box in concrete ceiling slab or to wall

I LOVE skip555's suggestion. It's uncomplicated and it quickly solves the problem.

There's a joke that goes something like this: Did you ever notice that when geese fly in that inverted "V" formation, that one leg of the "V" is always longer than the other? Do you know why that is? It's because there are more geese in that leg. ____
/
/

Sometimes the obvious stumps the best of us. But skip555 was all over it.

I need to know what problems occur when cat5 cable is daisey chained instead of home run. Can improper stapling cause a weak signal.

Any time you add a termination to the run you weaken the strength. If you were testing it properly, it would fail. There isnt any 1 way to do what you want. How I would approach the problem has a lot to do with how many cables you have running to this patch panel.

Lucent had zone wiring and AMP had demarc points which are similar to Paul's layout. By the way are Lucent and AMP still around?

Skip's solution hits the mark.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

Lucent is still around, but alot of the prem hardware went to Avaya with the PBXs.

AMP was acquired by TYCO and they seem to be slowly changing all the product to the TYCO name.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Like Jim said, Lucent still exists, but it merged with Alcatel several months ago.

Avaya was given charge over CPE materials, but subsequently sold off Systimax Structured Cabling products to Commscope.

For now, Avaya's focus is on CPE. That may very well change in the near future. The Partner ACS will go out of production in 2010 and Avaya has also said that its long term goal is to stop producing CPE equipment altogether and become a software provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back