Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extending a wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATL1114

MIS
Jan 23, 2003
US
Hey All,
I have installed a Netgear MR814 wireless router in a large house. The signal does make it to the other side of the house but the signal strength is down to 15 - 20% and when they use their cordless phone (2.4ghz) the signal gets dropped all together. Running cable is not an option. I know that I should be able to extend the wireless network but I am unsure of what products to look at. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I can see several options.

1. Use an external antenna on your access point (I don't use Netgear so I am not sure if there is an external antenna connector).

2. Use a better quality access point. I like Orinoco products for their receive sensitivity and the ability to add an external antenna. Another brand to look into is Smartbridges - great product but not cheap.

3. (Probably the least expensive) Sell the 2.4 gHz phone and pick up a 900 mHz phone!

Our Dlink Wireless Router/APs work great. And they have two antennas, one for vertical polarization and one for horizontal polarization.. so you can go between floors with a better signal.

And you can also replace the antennas with externals.

And certain models have 802.11a/802.11b combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back