Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending a System/Boot Partition possible?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb2IT

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2008
US
I have a Windows 2003 R2 server with a dynamic disk that has 70 gb of free space...i would like to extend the C drive into the unallocated space (notice that they are not next to each other) so that I can increase the D drive's size...is this possible? Are there any free/not free utilities that will do this? Here is a screen shot:

Wouldnt you need to convert it back to a basic disk before you can do that?

I have found that you can boot from a windows 2003 install disk into the recovery console and extend the disk using diskpart.exe.

However I do beleive this would only work on a basic disk, but I'm not certain.

Gparted is what I always use to extend a partition. But I can't particulary say whether or not it supports dynamic disk. But it has never failed me.

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

Your C: Drive is not contiguous with the free space. I know some utils will let you increase from the end out, but I don't think that they are going to let you move the start of the first partition.

You may have to fully backup the 3rd partition, delete it, extend C:, recreate the 3rd partition, then restore the data.

I have looked at all the utilities and NONE of them lets you extend a system/boot dynamic partition into a non-contiguous unallocated space. Only solution is what JordanCN2 suggested. Thanks Jordan CN2!

I have looked at all the utilities and NONE of them lets you extend a system/boot dynamic partition into a non-contiguous unallocated space." True of the partition managers I have used but I have done it a many times.

Perfectly legit way to circumvent the issue.
With Acronis or other partition managers... to get contiguous space following the system drive, you shrink the next partition, which gives you contiguous space following the system drive to grow the system partition into. I work on servers, which never have unallocated space on the drives or arrays, Acronis may do the work around I describe automatically, but it definitely can be accomplished (as long as Acronis does truly support Dynamic disks).

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back