Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending a network - problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexschmidt

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2003
ZA
I have two buildings A & B. In A I have a working network. In B (2 meters away) I have a large office with a 16 port 3COM hub with nothing connected to it. In the hub cabinet there is a patch strip reflecting the various available wall jacks of a now unused network. So what I did was to put a long flylead from one of the network walljacks in building A to a jack in building B and then pluged in a workstation to the corresponding port in the patchstrip. The pc works fine, can send and receive from the server in A. Once I take a patch cable from the patch strip (pc now unplugged from network) to the hub and then back to the pc it no longer picks up the network in building A. The hub has been tested and declared fully functional. The idea with the hub in B is to be able to connect additional workstations to the A network from building B. What can I be doing wrong? Do I have to use specific in and out ports in the hub for the intended setup? As you have probably already noticed, I am no network fundi so please an answer as simple as possible will be appreciated.

Hi,

THe Pc will work as I guess you are using a standard cat5 cable.

When daisy chaining (Connecting them together) hubs you need a x-over cable. If you dont have one of these there is a solution.

On the hubs in question, port 16 will be a MDIX port. It will have a small button beside it. that will have MDI as in and MDIX as out(could possibly be the other way round).

Change this on only one of the hubs and this will cross the port.

This will allow you to connect the hubs together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back