Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending a DS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottd29

Technical User
May 3, 2007
US
We are looking at extending a DS3 from our demarc to a location about 200 feet away. The issue is that we can't use the standard coax to achieve this. This is considered a historic building therefore we can't drill holes so existing pathways must me utilized. The existing conduit from the demarc to the area of work is being utilized by a 50 pair copper trunk but there just isn't enough room for 2 coax cables. 2 strands of MM fiber would fit, I was wondering if anyone has any experience using some sort of media converters to do this? Ultimately it will go back to coax to feed the Cisco 7200 VXR router. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, I've seen some of the products out there. I was just wondering if anyone has actually tried this. We use media converters quite often throughout our network but have never tried to use it with a DS3. At this point I'm a little skeptical to drop $3K unless I'm sure it will work.

I have used the RAD stuff on T1's before and they worked great. I dont run into too many DS3's.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

I have used a number of copper (mostly 1-T1, 4-T1+ethernet and DS3) to fiber modules. They have 1 card, 2 card and 16 card chassis (probably more variants, those are the ones I've used) and can accommodate AC and DC power. I think the shortest run they make the cards for is 2 Km, but that will work just fine for what you're doing.

Warning: PDF -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back