Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extended Serial Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline

Technical User
Oct 14, 2001
US
I have a serial device that sits 288' from a server that it needs to connect to. I've seen a device from Patton that ( claims )extends serial connections up to 5 miles. Has anyone tried this device or something similar ?

What about converting the serial to IP and reconverting it back at the server end, anyone done that either ?

There are many devices that will extend a serial connection. Wired, networked and wireless. Depending on the needs of the circuit they all will work. Which device were you considering?

The answer is "42"

Been there, done 'em all. Done it without a box. It all depends on speed and protocol. You can run 3 wires the 300 feet if you're using X-ON X-Off protocol and 2400 or less baud. A short haul modem gets you 9600 on 4 wires, and Moxa makes a serial to ethernet converter that will get you around the world.

Descriptions sorted in low to high price :)

LkEErie

I think the Patton 2285 will do what I want and I am sure there are others. I looked at the Moxas mentioned by LkEErie but I need more time to research them. I've used a Digi device to do something similar. I guess I'm looking for the quickest way, the customer pays my time either way, the less the better for him.

I used to do a lot of work for a very large national bank.
Up until about 7 years ago, all their ATMs were connected via serial.

We used RJ-45 type adapters and ran it over standard CAT5e cabling.
We had no problems with 300' runs (remote drive-thru).

MCSE CCNA CCDA

You are looking for a set of current loop converters, 232 to 20 ma. Converts from a voltage based to current flow based 4 wire. A google search will bring up links to many manufacturers.

Above around 100 feet (depends on the wire type and speed) you start getting rounding of the signal and losing bits. And I've seen runs work for years before failing.

And longer runs are more susceptible to creating damage from nearby lightning strikes.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back