Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extended memory settings in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleScooby

Programmer
Jun 1, 2001
GB

I recently bought a pc game (finding nemo by thq)
at different points in the game it crashes and returns to the desktop. Is there an extended memory setting in XP or any other setting I can set to improve this situation.

The pc itself is running xp pro - the pc is about three years old. There were some settings in a config specific to this game to set the graphics to low and decelerate the sound which I have done.

Any info appreciated.

thanks,

US.

Does other apps/games crash?

It's more likely the game if you don't experience crashes in other games and apps. Try downloading a patch for the game see if that helps.

Another possible cause of the problem could be that your pc doesn't meet the minimum system requirments of the game it self.

Also make sure that you have the correct and upto date drivers for your graphics card and chipsets as this will impact on game performance and problems.

Is your direct x version new enough to run the game? If not download and install or check on the game cd, they usually stick a version on the cd that is the correct version for the game.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

thanks jump1ng

how do I check:
Also make sure that you have the correct and upto date drivers for your graphics card and chipsets as this will impact on game performance and problems

thanks US.

To find your direct x version:
Code:
Start > Run > dxdiag

Hope this helps!
X

To check version of your drivers check either in your device settings or for the graphics card you can usually see that on your display properties page.

Right click on my computer, click properties, click on the hardware tab and now click device manager. There you will see all the devices that your machine has and can check the driver versions by going into the properties of each device and then click on driver.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back