Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extended demarc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuri

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
US
Not sure if this is the right forum.
I want to move the niu Smartjack from the demarc to the server room, about 750ft. Any suggestions or problems I could have. Any help would be great.

Normally your Telco places the smart jack at their demarc location and if the customer wants an extended demarc they will run the wire and place an rj48x at your location, or the customer or their vendor will extend from that point.
I've seen it where customers or their vendors have moved it and the local telco has forced them to move it back.
Also depending on what feeds your building, copper/fiber/mux? 750 feet may cause some problems?

I moved a smart jack once. From the front of a strip mall suite to the back. The signal and power were coming in from another suite on cat3 cable. Luckily, the incoming feed was just loose cable strung through the drop ceiling from the back to the front so I had plenty of leeway moving it back. I just looked at how the wires were connected to the jack (if I recall correctly, 3 wires screwed into connectors inside the box) to remember how to put them back, disconnected them and moved everything to the back wall.

But the thing to watch out for is this:

One of those wires is HOT! Shocked the bejeezuz out of my dumb self. My co-worker still laughs at me about that.

But it worked.

Well you did good but very illegal. The LEC can press charges and I've known it to be done.

samuri..GMgerry is once again very right you can not
move a local companys equipment, but you can extend the demarc.by this i mean run a cable from their equipment
to your new location.one problem you can occur by doing this
is if you are moving a special circuit t1,pri .they are
sometimes engineer to only work so far from the central office
and the network eguipment.

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

samuri

What I do here is run a 2 pair shielded cable to where I need the circuit. Then i will place the proper ends on the cable (solid cable plugs in this case) RJ-45 to our networking gear. This lets me extend the circuit without actually moving the demark. It is a bit of a pain vs. having the demark in our server room, but these are usually placed in a centrally located location in able to feed more than one place.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Thanks Guys.
I assume shielded cable is a must?

I am not sure I would say "it is a must", but IMO it is the best method to help prevent cross talk and noise between circuits.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Another question, i'm not normally a data circut guy but we have 4 single pair pri's just installed i understand even thought it a single pair i need to terminate to a rj48 1,2 and 4,5 send to the call server as two pair?

You need to terminate it on an RJ-48S or is it X jack.
The kind that has shorting bars between those pins.

Graybar has them as an Allen Tel part.

LkEErie

PRI's are 2 pair (4 conductor) connections. They are commonly terminated on RJ48c type ends. The only difference between a RJ48c and RJ 45 is that the RJ48c is a keyed type of connector. Not really that important in the overall scheme of things. A RJ45 can actually plug into a RJ48c type jack. A RJ48c annot plug into a RJ45 though because it has a little plastic piece on the side of the connector. That is the only difference between the two types.

LkEErie, the shorting bars are for fire alarm type jacks, so they can seize the trunk when teh dialer goes off hook.

EddieDuece ----- For your info there is a big difference in the actual wiring between RJ45's and RJ48's
RJ45's are normally used as subrate digital handoffs 64K and down and are wired on pins 1,2 and 7,8
RJ48's are used for T1's-PRI's etc and are wired on pins 1,2 and 4,5

And the RJ48X has a shorting plug for testing purposes, you remove your cord from it and it places a loopback towards the Telco if they wire the jumpers correctly.

This subject has been covered in previous posts. Here is one that provides good info: thread575-1278151

....JIM....

Thanks for all the good info. I know most data circuts are two pair 4 wire these are one pair two wire. The telco tech told me to run rj48 two pair 1,2 and 4,5. What i did is run straight form the smartjack instead of to a biscuit i dont know if this makes a difference but the telco tester tells me he cant see past the smartjack. Also the 4 pri,s voltage tests between 128.5 and 185 volts?

I'm talking the physical end on the extended cable, not wiring schemes guys! The wiring will utilize pins 1&2, 4&5. 7&8 will get you nowhere! Keep up the homework.....you'll get there.

DON'T move the NIU, unless you're the telco. Call the carrier and request they move it. If they want to charge you, call an experienced cabling contractor and have them run a T1 cable for you, it will be cheaper than the carrier.

As far as the "single pair PRI", I'm assuming you mean the telco is using a single pair from the outside world to the smartjack; in which case, they are using a PairGain or similar carrier system to conserve cable pairs in the outside plant (5-10 grand for a PairGain is WAY cheaper than digging up the street). This doesn't change the CPE (your) interface, that's still 2 pairs (T, R, T1, R1).

From what I have seen with Verizon in NYC, they will allow you to extend the DMARC BUT(here is where it gets interesting) they will not support any wiring beyond their original DMARC point. If you have issue with the circuit they will test to the smartjack or perhaps only the T-1 channel bank and declare the circuit is good and perform no other action. Check with your local carrier and ask them what their policy is, and if you have done this in the past follow their requirements. Otherwise have them move the circuit and they will usually take resposibilty for all the wiring.

I wish I knew how to post a picture here. I just had to do an emergency repair at one of our sites under renovation. A backhoe ripped the cable out from the pole to the building. AT&T said it would be about three weeks to replace (*^$#@&%). So I strung a cat 6 about 400 feet into their protector and 200 more feet of a cat 3 25 pair and it works great. Not recommended but it works.

Can someone help with posting a picture? It’s worth the look.

the following in your post will put a picture of a frog in it:
(remove all the * - I had to put them in so you could see the code)
Code:
[*img* [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.tipmaster.com/images/frog.gif*[/URL]]

Like this: [*img* ]

What you need to do is get your picture online somewhere (I use Imageshack but you can use photobucket or any other free image hosting service) - then substitute the direct link to your image for where the froglink is up there.

your tag would be
Code:
 [*img* [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.yourlink.com/yourpicture.jpg[/URL]]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back