Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extended Copy Precedence

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfokker

MIS
Aug 27, 2007
US
I have roughly 15 client computers backing up to a single disk storage policy. I have an aux policy that is set first weekend every month backup a copy to retain for 548 days for my extended copys. This has been working fine for the most part. On occasion however tapes on random days during the month are flagged as extended that do not follow the policy I set up in my aux copy. The problem doesn't seem too rampant usually one or two additional tape per month. Usually I look at the contents and its nothing I can be without such as system states from a month ago. I have made sure all my clients are associated to the storage policy. Any help as always is appreciated.

Hi mrfokker

you could always create a new SP and have seperate subclients for your system states...seperate it away from your actual data backups..how long do you need to retain sys states realisticaly?

Birky
CommVault Certified Engineer

Birky is right suggesting separate policies for System State backups. When you run a 'normal' Full versus Incremental schedule policy and all jobs succeed like they should the file system backup will flag the first weekend (full) backup as 'first of time period' with the extended (E) copy. However as System State backups are always full backups it is possible that an earlier backup for this machine (which was an Incremental for the File System) will be flagged as Extended for the System State. Separate SP's is a way to resolve this.

regards

Thanks for the info. I will make the necessary changes to my storage policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back