Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extended attribute aware 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilibaby

Technical User
May 3, 2005
US
I haven't been able to find the answer to my question yet, so I'm just going to put it up.

Is Brightstore v11.1 "extended attribute aware"?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Kay

Could you explain a little more what you mean by this or what specific attributes (such as ACL's) you are interested in?

As this is the first time I've ever heard of this, I will try to explain as well as I can.

We have migrated one of our systems to a centera platform and the old server will contain only pointers to the files. I need to be sure that the pointers are backed up but that Brightstor does not fetch the actual file and back it up also. The technician says that we need to find out if the software is "extended attribute aware".

I hope this helps. If necessary, I can contact the tech and find out what you need to know. I have discovered that any time I have a question or issue, I can generally get faster and more reliable help here than support, so whatever you need to assist with the answer, just ask and I will find out.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Kay

Kay,

It *should* do this, what you are talking about is backing up what is known as stub files in an HSM/DMO type solution. Being that CA partners/OEMs with a HSM Provider (Caminosoft) there was some work done to iron out a few niggles that used to exist (although I'm not sure whether this was done with 11.1 or 11.5). The key will be making sure :

1 The stub files are backed up as stub files.
2 The stub files are restorable.

In the past (and I'm talking around v7/2000 here) the problem always used to be that although they would appear to backup you'd have to sell your own family to get them restored :)

Unless it is Caminosoft you'll probably find it hard to get info out of CA on whether what you want will work, as amajority of people just don't know what HSM/DMO type solutions are about these days, and most of the people I did know who had experience with this type of product left, or moved onto other careers.

If you can't get the info out of CA easily I would recommend a backup and restore of a few non-critical stub files as a test - the stub files themselves, being pointers should only be a few kb each and should be easy to distinguish as to whether you're backing up the pointer/stub or it is reaching out to the actual migrated file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back