Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extend screen display to second screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

techbrain1

Technical User
May 14, 2016
GH
Hello
Please I have a dell desktop with a monitor and I want to extend the screen to my samsung tv so I bought an AMD graphic card that has dvi,vga and HDMI output and I installed it on my cpu unit with the drivers installed '.
So I connected my samsung tv to the AMD graphic card using an HDMI cable and connected the pc monitor to my onboard vga card using a vga cable.
When I extend the screen, I rather see the desktop with the icons on the samsung screen and a desktop without icons on my pc monitor.
I prefer it to work in the other way that is seeing the desktop with the icons on my pc monitor and the desktop without the icons on the samsung tv.
Please I need your help to guide me to achieve this.thank you

go into bios and see if there is an option to select which monitor is first, and select internal vga or equivalent. By default adding a card will boost the card to be used first, and internal to second.

Thanks rclarke250.I will work out with your solution

No need to do this from Bios. You can change monitors from within Windows itself easily.

Open Display Settings, and simply drag the monitors to their proper positions. It may be different depending on the version of Windows you are using.

Other operating systems have similar options.

c04727666.jpg

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

thanks vacunita but am using windows 7 OS so how do i draw the monitors to their repective position.plz can you demonstrate it with a snap shot.thank you

It works the same way. Open Display Settings, and drag the monitor pictures next to the detect and identify buttons to their desired locations.

Then with the TV monitor selected there (by clicking on it, it gets a blue frame), check the "Make this my main display" checkbox.

win7screenresolution_zpsblxxemdz.png

Phil AKA Vacunita
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

That works for windows, but not if you want your default monitor on the desk to have the bios and setup screens if you need them, they will still be on the TV, which is a pain.

BIOS on TV screen - First world problem.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Well, it is a problem, because of the delayed start because the TV has to warm up before picture is displayed, I would miss the prompt to enter bios or uefi. Happens on my home theater boxes all the time, pain in the butt.

That was more social commentary than denying the problem!

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

thanks rclarke250,your solution worked.thank you all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back