Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extend Router Network with an additional Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedgert

Technical User
Mar 3, 2005
GB
I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless access point router with 4 port switch. It's connected to a cable modem and this configuration works well.

I want to extend the network and so I've bought a 5 port wired switch. I connect the switch into one of the 4 ports on the WRT54GS and connect a PC to the switch. I get a network connection and an ip address, but that's about it. I obviously need to do some config, but don't know what to do.

My original network (based on the router) assigns IPs in the range 192.168.1.100. The switch assigns IPs from 192.168.3.0.

When I run ipconfig on a PC on the new network I see the IP address and the subnet mask, but I notice that no default gateway is set - so presumably any traffic for nodes outside the network run by the switch isn't routed anywhere.

My question is, what do I have to do to configure the new bit of network to work with the existing one? Is there some way to set the default gateway? Do I need to do more? Will I need to fiddle with the default firewall settings on the WRT54GS? I've looked at the firewall config in the WRT54GS and I can't see anything that looks like it would restrict traffic to the local 192.168.1 segment - but I'm on shaky ground here - I don't know enough about networks!

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Tim

A switch does not assign IP addresses, so it sounds like you probably purchased a router, not a switch. Or more accurately, you purchased a router with an integrated switch (most home routers include an integrated switch). To resolve this, you must go into the the new router's config and disable DHCP. By doing that, your computer will pull an address from the first router, rather than the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back