Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extend Logical Drive on SmartArray 3200

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkar75

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2002
US
I have a RAID 5 array on a Compaq ML 530 with a 3200 SmartArray controller. I have 3 18 GB hard drives with one set as a spare. I am planning on adding two additional 18 GB drives to the array. I would like to expand the existing logical drive to utilize these disks. Compaq(HP) told me they do not recommend doing this on Win 2000 Server(the OS on my server) as I will loose all the data.

Microsoft says they do not recommend extending the logical drive ONLY if using dynamic disks. My disks are all set up as basic.

Has anyone extended their logical drives without problems on basic disks? What are the advantages/disadvantages of creating a new logical drive on the array as opposed to extending an existing logical drive?

Have a look at Virtual replicator from Comapq/HP it may do what you want to do!, but its probably cheaper to do a full backup, trash the current config, recreate the new one and restore the backup!

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back