Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ext hard drive not listing files in Windows 7 window but files seem to exist when running scans

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterchris

Technical User
Sep 9, 2012
CA
My Desktop had some issues booting and then when I tried to access files on my external hard drive it shows 100 gb free of the 750. Issue is when i click into it, it has no files listed. When I run disk scans it shows it is scanning through all the files that are on there. Also tried multiple computers and going through command prompt to no success.

Presuming it has something to do with a missing table of contents for the drive??? Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

It's doubtful it would be the file table as of it were you wouldn't be able to click into the drive.

I'd check to things, that the drive is not partitned into 2 volumes, and you are clicking the empty volume, and 2 that hidden files are being shown. You can set tht up from the Folder Options dialog.

It may have Ben that Windows recovered the files into hidden directories. Also a malware scan is in order, just to rule out any possible infction.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

It's been one partition only always...

Anyway the only solution I came to was to use a program called R-Undelete ($60 USD). Very reliable and very quick. I was able to recover all 500GB of data and copy it to a new drive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back