Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXT 33 calling and leaving messages, X33 port not connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarenot

Vendor
Aug 30, 2003
US
Left to right

308EC
308EC
ACS R3 Proccessor
mail VS R5

Ext port 33 has nothing plugged into it.

Have had some issues with line 1 locking up so it was swapped out and replaced using line 6.

Users report ext 33 calling, and nothing there when they answer. When not answered it will sometimes go to VM, and leave messages until the MB is full(in 5 days one MB was filled).

At least 20 calls per day to seemingly random exts from X33

One AA direct ext transfer except for 2 selector codes go to announcements.

They reported they have had lightning strike which caused some damage previously. This may explain the CO port for line one not working properly, as well as ext 23, 32, 33 not working at all.

Any ideas before I replace the X26-33 308EC module? I am figuring on going with a new release 308 as the plan is replace the whole system with an R6, or R7 in next fiscal years budget. The existing cards are all Lucent except for one, so I figure just go new for the whole thing considering their age. I am not going to be replacing the phones to keep the price down, as it is a charitable org.

The issue just came up out of the blue as far as I can tell no chnages done at the time of the ext starting to phantom call, and leave messages.

frog the 308 modules then you can see if its the ACS or 308

I think frog them means swap them for each other to see if the same ext 33 keeps calling, or if X25 picks up the darn frustrating behaviour?

Any other ides besides it being the hardware?

Make sure that all the extensions are not assigned to hunt group 7 for the VM ports. If they are it will cause problems calling random extensions and no one on the phone.

I would think that would send valid calls(to group 7) to the exts as well as phantom calls, causing people to report they did not get the auto attendant during night service which is when the AA is on. Would it not also send users attempting VM retrieval to random exts, as well as direct to VM transfers? This is not happening, just ext 33 calling, ringing, then quitting, or sometimes going to VM eventually. Always when answered no one is there, and no reported calls misdirected to exts that should go to group 7. I took all the line appearances off of ext33 so it cannot be anything forwarded, or covering without a line appearance. I do not think the VM could be initiating the call since ext33 is not in the VM modules slot, but on a seperate 308EC.

With the 308's having some bad ports, which when swapped create mission critical ext outages, I will have to try this over the weekend. It wont be so bad, maybe take my daughter, and have her read a book in the office while my son, and I shoot some hoops in the gym. Maybe play XBOX on the 15 foot projector screen, whoah. Ofcourse while we are conducting testing of the randomly occurring scenario for troubleshooting purposes. In a very proffessional manner,

Plug in a cord that shorts 33's tip to ring, making it permanently busy - after you remove its line assignments of course.

Thanks TTT,
I thought of that, then figured it would not matter since the port was dead. I bet this will fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back