Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expression Formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

glewis1636

Programmer
Apr 26, 2004
US
I'd like to make part of my expression bold and the dataset field not bold, how is this done.

Example in the expression I have;
Code:
= "Item: " + Fields!Item.Value

I'd like to format the expression so that it appears as;

Item: widget

Thanks,

Paul

"Uhm..."

You could just put the text "Item:" in a separate control right next to the item text box, and left justify the box containing Item.

Hope this helps,

Alex

[small]----signature below----[/small]
Majority rule don't work in mental institutions

My Crummy Web Page

yup - that's about the only way - can't individually format part of an expression

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

That's what I was afraid of... oh well. I really liked that part of Crystal Reports. Wish Microsoft would take a lesson from them.

Paul

"Uhm..."

So in Crystal you can seperately format parts of the result of a formula?

Why is it an issue to have 2 controls? little bit of formatting and the user need never know. In fact, it is probably better as you are keeping your static data away from your dynamic data.....

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Actually not in the formula, but in the text box, you could type your label in the textbox, and then add your data field inside the textbox. The reason this is better is purely asthetic, in that the spacing is automatically set regardless of the length of the data field, so you could embed data in the middle of static text and seperately format the text and the data field. If you seperate the label from the data, the spacing tends to get ugly as the size of the information in the data field changes.

Why is keeping your static data away from your dynamic data necessarily a good thing?

Paul

"Uhm..."

If you left justify your data textbox, the spacing will be automatically set as well.

Keeping static away from dynamic data is good, because why keep them together? One example comes to mind is, if your dynamic data changes from a String to an Integer, you run the risk of the report not generating properly because SSRS can't concatenate a string and an integer. I'm not saying you *would* overlook this, but may as well make it impossible, right? Clients don't tend to like errors in their reports all that much ;-)

[small]----signature below----[/small]
Majority rule don't work in mental institutions

My Crummy Web Page

I thought Reporting Services in SQL 2005 was supposed to have an RTF control that would allow formatting of a field in this manner, but I'm still stuck on 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back