Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expression exceeds 1,024-character limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsarman

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
US
My query doens't work after the 13th IIf statement and gives me this message:
"The expression you entered exceeds the 1,024-character limit for the query design grid".
How can I resolve this issue?
Thanks,

SELECT IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*MV*","MV 30 Days Prior To Expire",
IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*RH*","RH 30 Days Prior To Expire",

IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*RE*","RE At Expire",
IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*CE*","CE At Expire",
IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*AG*","AG At Expire",
IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*AC*","AC At Expire",
IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*RX*","RX At Expire",

IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*RE*","RE 30 Days After Expire",
IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*CE*","CE 30 Days After Expire",
IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*AG*","AG 30 Days After Expire",
IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*AC*","AC 30 Days After Expire",
IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*RX*","RX 30 Days After Expire",

IIf([qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5" And [qryJOE_REPORT_2.subscription_def] Like "*MV*","MV 30 Days After Expire",

""))))))))))))) AS ["KeyCodeList"], qryJOE_REPORT_2.Subscription_Def, qryJOE_REPORT_2.MaxOfEffortLevel, qryJOE_REPORT_2.Customer_ID, qryJOE_REPORT_2.CallResult, qryJOE_REPORT_2.RepName
FROM qryJOE_REPORT_2;

the first attempt that comes to my mind is to shorten the fieldnames:

i.s.o. "qryJOE_REPORT_2" you could use "qryJR2"
i.s.o. "subscription_def" "s_def"
a.s.o.

you'd save a lot of characters in your SQL

HTH,
fly

[blue]Typos, that don't affect the functionality of code, will not be corrected.[/blue]

Martin Serra Jr.

Secondly, implement the use of Alias designations for the tables. Use a single letter and you elminate a whole bunch of characters in your query:

Code:
SELECT IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*MV*","MV 30 Days Prior To Expire",
IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*RH*","RH 30 Days Prior To Expire",

IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*RE*","RE At Expire",
IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*CE*","CE At Expire",
IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*AG*","AG At Expire",
IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*AC*","AC At Expire",
IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*RX*","RX At Expire",

IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*RE*","RE 30 Days After Expire",
IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*CE*","CE 30 Days After Expire",
IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*AG*","AG 30 Days After Expire",
IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*AC*","AC 30 Days After Expire",
IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*RX*","RX 30 Days After Expire",

IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5" And [JR2.subscription_def] Like "*MV*","MV 30 Days After Expire",

""))))))))))))) AS ["KeyCodeList"], JR2.Subscription_Def,  JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel, JR2.Customer_ID, JR2.CallResult, JR2.RepName
FROM qryJOE_REPORT_2 [red]as JR2[/red];

[COLOR=006633]Bob Scriver[/color]
MIState1.gif
[COLOR=white 006633]MSU Spartan[/color]

You may also consider writing a public function to do the conditionals instead of an unreadable huge Iif imbroglio.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

PHV: Absolutely. I have even trying to read those nexted((nexted)nested)nested) things. A function definately would be in order.

I see from your profile that you are in France. Just got off the phone with my son who is in Paris for 2 months. He has married a French girl and lives in Oakland, CA.

[COLOR=006633]Bob Scriver[/color]
MIState1.gif
[COLOR=white 006633]MSU Spartan[/color]

Thank you all. I'm making all the names shorter and will see if that helps.

Thanks again.

This should be more efficient for the KeyCodeList expression (there may be typos or mismatched parens):

IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel] In ("4","5"),
IIf([JR2.subscription_def] Like "*MV*","MV",
IIf([JR2.subscription_def] Like "*RH*","RH",
IIf([JR2.subscription_def] Like "*RE*","RE",
IIf([JR2.subscription_def] Like "*CE*","CE",
IIf([JR2.subscription_def] Like "*AG*","AG",
IIf([JR2.subscription_def] Like "*AC*","AC",
IIf([JR2.subscription_def] Like "*RX*","RX",""))))),"") &

IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="4",
IIf([JR2.subscription_def] Like "*MV*" or
[JR2.subscription_def] Like "*RH"," Prior To Expire",
" At Expire"),
IIf([JR2.MaxOfEffortLevel]="5"," 30 Days After Expire",""))

It will include records with subscription_def like "*RH*" and MaxOfEffortLevel="5" which your original expression did not. You can add one more IIf to take care of that if needed.

I didn't realize access had a 1024 character limit. I broke up the query and created a union query afterwards to put the results together.

It's kind of a long way of doing it. But it worked.

Thanks for the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back