Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Express Card Bus Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancekidd

Technical User
Jan 26, 2009
US
I bought an external HDD that is USB 3.0 compatible. My laptop (Toshiba L305D-S5928) documentation says that my slot is ExpressCard™ slot (ExpressCard/34 and ExpressCard/54). I may not have any idea of what I'm talking about here, but I want to buy an expresscard with two USB 3.0 ports on it.

Doesn't an expresscard use either the USB 2.0 or PCIe bus? If my slot uses the USB 2.0 bus, the adaptor card will not run any faster will it? If what I'm saying makes sense, how can I find out which bus my slot uses?

Thanks!

Which interface is used is determined by the adapter, not the slot on the motherboard.

Wow, I did not know that. I thought it was just physically tied into one or the other, lol. Thank you for the help!

lance,

basically said, an adapter is just as the name says it is, it adapts one interface to the other... e.g. PCIe to USB adapter, adds USB capability over the PCIe bus to the PC...

but why bother with the USB 2.0 cards, why not go directly for the USB 3.0 card (it is downward compatible to USB 2.0) and it would make that external fly a bit...

for example:

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Ben, that it is what I'm wanting to do. My external HDD is USB 3.0 capable, and I wanted to get a card just like the one in the link you gave.

I had read that expresscards use either USB 2.0 or PCIe. I was thinking, however incorrectly, that the slot was connected to either one or the other internally on the MB. So I was thinking that if my expresscard slot used USB 2.0, a USB 3.0 wouldn't go any faster than the slower speed. I didn't know that it would use one or the other depending on what it needed.

I know that probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I'm definately going to get the adaptor card that's USB 3.0. It's worth the 30 bucks.

Thanks for the help!

I'm afraid people have not fully understood what you were asking....you description sounded clear enough for me and I perfectly understood your point.

Of course....if the connection type inside the slot were slower than the actual USB outlet it would be a bottleneck.
Fortunately...in your case it isn't and the one you sellected would be fine.
I found this cheaper option but with 1 X USB3 & 1 X USB2..might.
I doubt you will have two USB3 devices connected simultaneously.

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back