Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exportvg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midrange

Vendor
Aug 28, 2002
SG
HI there, i'm new with unix.

I'm planning to reinstall my AIX 5.1 since i want to have my rootfs as Jfs2 and enable 64 bit kernel. I have an external disk array with another vg name. My question is do i need to export the external disk(vg) before i do the reinstallation of AIX so i can import it again after i reinstall?

thanks.

If you reinstall the OS all the ODM will be lost .... so you'll need to reimport all the VGs again

To answer your question...No you don't need to export the VG's, but make note of what VG's are on what disks (keep output from lspv) because you will need to import the VG's after you reinstall.

Jim Hirschauer

a: You can't reimport the vg's if you didn't export them. Not sure why hirscha said not to export but to import in his reply.

From the redbook:
Will my machine run the 64-bit kernel?
64-bit hardware is required to run the 64-bit kernel. For AIX 5.2, all IBM eServer pSeries 64-bit hardware can run either the 64-bit kernel or the 32-bit kernel. To verify the processor capability, run the following command:

# /usr/sbin/prtconf -c

The command will return "32" or "64" depending on the capability of the system. If your system does not have the prtconf command, you can use the bootinfo -y command.

In AIX 5.2, the 32-bit kernel is installed by default. The 64-bit kernel, along with JFS2 (enhanced journaled file system), can be enabled at installation time.

If you don't want to reinstall, here's what you do:

Alternatively, after a 32-bit BOS installation operation has finished, manually install the bos.64bit and bos.mp64 filesets from the AIX installation CD.

Can I change back to 32-bit after installing with 64-bit?

Yes, you can change back to 32-bit by booting into service and repointing the symbolic link of unix to unix_mp (32-bit kernel). Perform a bosboot and reboot the partition. For more information about how to do this, refer to the IBM Redbook AIX 5L Differences Guide Version 5.1 Edition Link outside Information Center, section 1.2.3 "64-bit kernel considerations."

(the above should work to change to 64 bit after installing 32 bit as well)

CrystalWizard you are incorrect about the export/import thing. The 2 functions have nothing to do with each other. All exportvg does is remove definitions about the VG from the ODM. All importvg does is get the definitions about a VG off of the disk.

Jim Hirschauer

bootinfo -y wiil also tell you the hardware is capable of 32 or 64
bootinfo -K will say the kernel 32 or 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back