Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exporting vs write to file

Status
Not open for further replies.

le1burg

Programmer
Mar 6, 2006
US
If I was asked to save the data produced by a crystal report to a database table...is it even possible, believe not, but what's the best way to accomplish this? Is there a way to use the report in some way or is this a task for something like VB. Where would you begin or how to go able doing such a thing?

Anybody? Talk to me...

TIA!

I use Linc 10 and SQL: the SQL can write records if permissions are set, but only on the basis of what the SQL does.

A crystal report can export as Excel or Text, both of which can be used as input to another Crystal. Does that help?

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Informative but not suited for what she wants. They had me build a form for check request, using crystal, I set it up with up front parameters that are used to query the database for the appropriate data and then fill the form out, but afterwards it ought to write to a file, append actually, so they have a running list of who asked for what when...a simple write to file is all I need.

I'm figuring I need to do the same thing using a programming language. Just I haven't programmed in over 10 years and then it was all perl and unix, some fortran. Been trying to get away with just doing crystal but chickens are coming home to roost.

Yes, Crystal can export to ODBC, but it has a limitation: it can only export to a new table - it can't append to an existing table.

There are 3rd-party tools (see list at that can address this problem.

For a description of how my Visual CUT software allows database appends from Crystal report exports, see:

- Ido

view, email, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back