Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting to Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

drice

Programmer
Jun 10, 2002
I'm trying to export a file from a client/server application for upload to our mainfame. They need the file to be ASCII, comma delimited. The data itself is a combination of text objects and field objects. When I try to export as text - the program locks up and the application loses connection. The report is about 3,300 detail lines. When I try to export as any other format, the results aren't good. I have tried adding the commas as text objects to see if the results are better but I still lose characters. Any ideas? This seemed like such a simple project!!!

3300 lines shouldn't cause a lock up.

It sounds like something is off with your export, try installing the export patch if you're using 8.5.

It'd be useful to know the version of Crystal, what you mean by the results aren't good with other types of export, and how you're attempting to export.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

thanks for the advice. I'll try loading the patch and update this note. I'm new to this website. I read all the threads regarding export, text, etc but couldn't find exactly what I needed.

I'm running 8.5. I have tried just about every export format I think would be appropriate and I can't get the results I need. I have also tried exporting to Excel but I would like to keep this a one step process for the end user.

I wanted to export a report in PDF format as a attachment with email when the user clicks on Email provided in the application developed in VB 6.0.I able to doit in .doc, .xls and txt format but not in PDF.
Plzzz advice

---Sunil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back