Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting to pdf getting worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

mericat

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
GB
Hi

When I first got Pagemaker 7.0 I could export to .pdf very easily and it was a good and accurate copy of my usually simple colour documents.

Since, my printers designer has come down to set my system the same as his for ease of printing and my pdf's are coming out with only ¼ of the page showing and the rest blank. Also, all colour in the text (but not graphics) is gone.

I have now tried it on the setups that he produced and the original ones and ones that I have made, but to no avail. Any obvious ideas where I might be going wrong?

Would be most appreciative.

Mcat. Getting a thing about blues and purples

Your printer's designer should have created a new PDF profile specific to his needs. This should not have altered your default PDF profiles. Do you still have 'Print' and 'Screen' as items in your PDF profile drop list when you choose 'Export to PDF'?

Yes, I do, but they are not working normally either. He also altered some settings within Pagemaker itself. Getting a thing about blues and purples

mericat,

How were the graphics placed into the doc? Are there any tables in these docs? Does this happen with every doc you try to convert, or only some?

Can you contact this person and ask exactly what he changed? That may give us a clue.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

You may have hit on it Vio*ion. I have (obsessively) been trying to export one document in particular. I just tried it with the advert I am working on and it did it fine. I'll have a go at this document adn see what happens. Getting a thing about blues and purples

Okay... now that we have something to work with, I want you to pay attention to 2 things in particular, the graphics and any tables.

First, graphics should be TIF or EPS, and they should be File>Placed, not copy/pasted. Anything else can throw a wrench into the distill process. If they are placed properly, try removing one graphic at a time to see if you can find the offending item.

Second, if you have any tables or spreadsheet items, you can be running into problems there. If that is the case, tell us how you placed the tables, and maybe we can help you. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back