Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting to .CSV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE

Technical User
Oct 25, 2000
US

I'm using CR XI on a windows 7 machine.

I need to be able to export to comma delimited file. Every time I try to do this I get the column names repeated on the left. I've tried removing the column names from the report(they were in the page header) and that caused it to export nothing.

There are no groups or anything remotely complicated about this report, I have everything suppressed but the detail line. Its purpose is just translating some fields to be imported into another database.

I hope this is just something really simple that I'm missing, will someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you
VE

The trick is in the options you choose when exporting to CSV.

We're on Crystal 2008 and I don't have access to a copy of XI, but I don't think the options have changed.

Try this:
Set "Report and Page sections:" to "Do not Export". Do the same with "Group sections:"

This should get you just the details lines.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Hi,

Thank you. Either XI does not have that option, or I'm looking in the wrong place.

I'm clicking the export button, chosing Separated values (CSV), OK, then I have the option of delimiter and separator, a check box for same number formats as report and a check box for same date formats as report. There is no more options button.

It's very strange, it seems to me this should be a basic thing.

The import tool I'm using will accept .txt, so I'm going to use that.

Thank you for your help.

VE

Options have changed from XI to 2008, but I am confused why getting rid of the column names would not export anything. I have exported to .csv (it's been awhile), I did have an issue with the column names, but I either suppressed that section or removed the names and it worked. I will try again and see what happens.

Boy it has been a long time since I exported to CSV. I checked XI and I saw the options hiffy was talking about and they worked for me. Wish I had a solution.

Hiffy: I was incorrect that the export options had changed from XI to 2008. Like I said, it has been a while since I exported to CSV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back