Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting to another PIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopns

Instructor
Jul 22, 2002
US
We are having trouble exporting from W95 to XP, both SideKick 99. Are there any recommendations on other PIM's or programs to export it to? Excel, Access? Are there a rolodex type programs?

Thanks.

Dear coopns,
See FAQ
faq807-1409
For export options with cardfiles

Could you also explain in a little more detail which files you are having problems with as this is your second post on the same subject.
e.g Cardfiles/Calendar/Memo/Expenses

If you could be a little more specific we may be able to help.
Regards Jim

I will try to explain a bit better. I have the cardfiles in Sidekick 99 on the W95 and we are trying to get them exported to the WXP box. I tried using a ZIP disk to copy and paste but I couldn't view the files in XP. I checked the help that you had previously posted but I had no option to export when I closed all the cardfiles. Also, on starfish website and it noted that some people have seen it work on XP and others haven't. So we were wondering if it can't work are there any other programs to use that are similar to starfish - sidekick 99?

Thanks for the help.

Dear coopns,
I see now that when you say 'Export' you don't mean changing the format of the files, you just want to transfer them to the other Computer.
You need Sidekick running on both machines to perform the following steps.

Create a New Folder on the Zip drive and then open each cardfile in SDK99 on the Win95 box then go to

File|Save As

and navigate to the folder on the Zip drive and save it in there.

Close the cardfile in Sidekick before you remove the disc and then if you still need to use it, reopen it from the original location on that machine.

Put the Zip disc into the WinXP Zip drive and then with SDK99 running go to

File|Open

Open the Cardfile and then

Save As

The Cardfile to wherever your
Userdata folder is.

If you still have problems post back. Regards Jim

Dear coopns,
How big are these Files?
Even 8000 records with over 30 fields, the Cardfiles I deal with are only 3.5Mb.

OOOOOHHH I have just REALISED!!!

The reason you can't see them in on the XP Box is that the
Sidekick File Open Dialog box is looking only for Sidekick files
i.e. .SKCard
not
Zip Files which is what you saved them as.
You have to extract them from the Zip Disc to your Userdata Folder and then look for them there with Sidekick using File|Open Regards Jim

Thanks Jim. You might be right, I probably have to extract them. It is funny, I see them on the ZIP on XP and I try to open them but when I go to File...Open...nothing is there. I will try the extraction and see how it goes.

I appreciate the help.

Coop

Dear coopns,
Just double click on them in Windows Explorer and WinZip or whatever Zip program you have will open and will ask you where you want to extract them to,
Extract them to your Userdata folder and then open them in Sidekick...
Sidekick doesn't open Zip files
HTH Regards Jim

Dear coopns,
Excuse the Double/Post but I am in a bit of a hurry

Just double click on them in Windows Explorer and WinZip or whatever Zip program you have will open and will ask you where you want to extract them to.
Extract them to your Userdata folder and then open them in Sidekick...
Sidekick doesn't open Zip files
it will only open Cardfiles (.SKCard) after they have been extracted from the Zip File.

Furthermore if you are saving them to a Zip Disc then you don't need to Zip/Compress them,
as I said in a previous post you can just send them to the Zip Disc (SendTo and then Open them on another machine from within Sidekick doing File|Open

HTH Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back