Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exporting to a jpeg or gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostinzman

Vendor
Mar 21, 2005
US
I have a large illustrator file I need to export to a Jpeg or GIF, but I am having some issues. What is the best way for me to export the file and maintain the highest quality, at the same time reducing the image size. Should I use the save for web feature and adjust the image size from there? I have tried that, but the resolution drops to 96 dpi. Is this normal for a graphic image? I would like to be able to save it at a 300 resolution.

In the past I have probably done it the hard way - but here it is in case you want to use this method too.

I save as EPS. Open it in Photoshop at the dpi you desire. Flatten and then save as - desired file type - It is a round about way but I have found it works best for me until save as .jpeg is brought to Illustrator (I dont' have CS2 yet :( but one can hope.)

The other (slightly better) option is to export as .jpeg - at High resolution (300 dpi) - then bring it into Photoshop and resize.

The BEST thing to do would be resize in Illustrator and then export. When you right click and scale - Use uniform Scale AND Options Scale Strokes and Effects.

Hope that helps more than my first suggestion.

So resize to the appropriate size in illustrator, then export to high resolution Jpeg? I am getting CS2 this week. You say it has a feature built in?

Yes "resize to the appropriate size in illustrator, then export to high resolution Jpeg" - It is already a built in feature, sorry about the confusion, you can do that now if you have CS I am not sure if you can do that in 10. :) Give it a try! :)

Please disregard the first post - I now see the error of my ways and am now converted to this newer, better, and less tasking method.

Hope it helps you out :) if not you could use my first suggestion, which I now see was the oddball version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back