Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting New Data Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

markvan

Technical User
Sep 12, 2001
AU
I have an Access solution that my Sales team uses remotely, i want them to be able to click a button, that will export all their new entries from a specific table. They email that file to me, so I can add it to the master table that combines their entries with everyones.

What is the best practice way of achieving this?

Thanks in advance

Mark Van Laarhoven
Dot Imaging Online Printers, Sydney, Australia.

You may consider Replication.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Hi!

Alternatively you can add a boolean field to the table called NewRecord which is automatically set to True when a record is created and automatically set to False when it is exported.

hth

Jeff Bridgham
Purdue University
Graduate School
Data Analyst

Thanks Jerby & PHV.

I understand your suggestion about having a NewRecord field, and seems like a sensible solution to me, I will be trying that today. I will read up on Replication as I don't realy understand the issues.
I will probably need to start using some VBA or Macros which will be a stretch. But nothing ventured nothing gained!

Mark Van Laarhoven

This was much easier than I expected.

I added a new field to each table with either "New" or "Old" values.
Then I do an append query copying all "New" records to a new temporary table, that I export as an excel spreadsheet and send via email.
Once that is successful I do an update query that sets the records all to "Old" and then a Delete query to empty that temp table so it is ready to use again next time.
All this is controlled by a single button that runs a macro.

Thanks for the heads up, it works!

Mark Van Laarhoven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back