Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXPORTING FROM FP2.6 TO MS-EXCEL--PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

infogus

Programmer
Aug 19, 2002
MX
HI ALL

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION FOR EXPORTING FROM FOXPRO 2.6
REPORTS TO EXCEL SHEETS ???

PLEASE HELP

THANKS IN ADVANCE

If you are asking about FoxPro DOS, there is no way, and even FPW won't actually output a REPORT to XLS format. Why not just take the cursor for your report and export that?

Rick

"DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION FOR EXPORTING FROM FOXPRO 2.6
REPORTS TO EXCEL" -- A solution for WHAT exactly?

You can gather your data within Foxpro into the proper format (possibly using an SQL statement) which would be sent to the report and then output that data to Excel with the command:
SELECT <reporttable>
COPY TO <excelfile.xls> XLS

Assuming that you have gathered your data correctly into a single data table (or cursor/query) then the data will be sent to the Excel compatible file. The field names will appear as the column titles.

Note: Assuming that you have mixed field types (char & numeric) your numeric data will appear in the XLS file as character representations of your numbers. To make any calculations on it in Excel you will need to convert the column format to numeric.

If you are looking for a different &quot;what&quot;, then we need you to supply us with more information.

Good Luck,
jrbbldr
jrbbldr@yahoo.com

I use Office XP and all I need to do is open Excel, find the .dbf and double click it. Then &quot;save as&quot; type xls.
You could maybe then format up a report in Excel.
Ken F

Thanks friends, yes I am asking about a utility or Activex or exe file for FPD26 or VFP7 which takes the result of a report(FRX/FRT)and convert it into XLS File Format. Why this ? because there are many features like different fonts or information that not strictly lies in a columnar format like the results obtained with the COPY TO ... XLS.
I have already read OLE AUTOMATION and DDE, but i need a way easier than those. Almost all my customers want to convert their reports in a XLS format.
Thanks again for your helpful comments.

several options exist, you can write a vbscipt to insert foxdata into cells, or format your report format to html <table></table> and open that in excel (code not availible at this time but ive done that a lot)

if you use foxgen tool you will have to convert line art to either white space or <hr> if it is to be it's up to me

I don´t have time for programming myself options.
Do you know a commercial option (utility, shareware, etc) that i can pay for ?

thanks.

You might want to look at writing your reports using Crystal Reports. It has a built in export to Excel, that works fairly well. I am not aware of any commerical product that will take a Fxpro report and convert it to Excel.

Thanks I will try it. Somebody else told me about a software
named DataExport.
Any comments about it ?

Trying to export or convert .fpt files from Foxpro 2.6 HELP

A documented variant of the copy command is to :

Use FileName
Copy to FileName.xls type xls

This should do it.

End of mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search