Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exporting fireworks butons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenwebbs

Technical User
Nov 30, 2001
GB

Hi. I have a bit of a problem with combining the fireworks 4 with the dreamweaver 4. I'll explain. I can easily create images in fireworks and insert them in dreamweaver etc. I can create websites based purely on dreamwever; however, my problem begins when I have created a button in fireworks and created it's link and it's mouseover effect in the button editor etc. and then I export it into dreamweaver and view it in my browser and it just doen't work. It's like it loses all the mouseover effects in the export. I am obviously doing something wrong but I cannot figure out what it is. Do you understand? I have tried it repeatedly and I still cannot export a button with it's mouseover and links successfully into dreamweaver. It's very frustrating. Can you help me please?

Thank you

Antonette

Hello Antonette!

It's really easy! There are couple of things you need to do.

1) export from Fireworks properly. When you export your work don't forget to choose HTML and Images in the Save as type. FW will export all images and create special HTML file that has all necessary scripts.

2) insert your work into the page using Dreamweaver properly! There is only one way you may do it - goto Insert > Interactive Images > Fireworks HTML and select HTML file that FW exported. In this way DW will insert all images and scripts necessary for you buttons!

Good Luck!

Hi EugenePaliev,
Thanks for the heads up on that, but why does the pop up menu appear at the top of the screen or my main navbar which is at the top of the screen, not where I have my button with popup menu near middle to right of the screen
:( It's driving me nuts!

Hi Merlincool!

Check this message: Thread726-119260 it describes how to do it.

Good Luck! :)

hi,my problem is also about the rollover thing.when i view my site on our LAN it works perfectly but when i tried it outside our LAN the rollover doesn't work anymore.what can be the problem? thanks & more power.

are you exporting the .js file as well??

[afro] yup im a star whore

ye, you definitely forgot to upload something (probably fw_menu.js)!.. Good Luck! :)

should i put the fw_menu.js to where the png files are located? i've named a folder as png where i put the fireworks documents.i recall seeing the js file but not inside the png folder but rather at the root site.

Fireworks automaticly generates JavaScript for you if you create simple roll-overs or sophisticated pop-ups.

With roll-overs FW creates HTML file with necessary JavaScript. Usually FW puts this file into the same folder where you export graphical files (images, roll-overs, etc.). If you have DreamWeaver you may simply import that file if you don't have one you need some hand-coding (not coding but copy/paste operations actually). After you inserted JavaScript you need to upload to the server where your site runs all images and that HTML file with JavaScript.

With pop-ups everything about roll-overs is true plus FW generates one separate JavaScript file (so you have images, HTML file, JavaScript file). You need to upload this JavaScript file (fw_menu.js) to the server too!

Is it clear? Good Luck! :)

put the js file in the same directory your fireworks htm file was exported to
[afro] yup im a star whore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back