Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting ER report to Excel fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmkraynak

Technical User
May 20, 2002
US
We are using ER version 8 and are getting "random" failures in exporting historical instances of report to Excel. We use the Activex viewer as the report viewer in ER. For some reports, the export works fine, for some others it fails (that is, it hangs for a long time, then shows a "Communications Error" message).

We are up to date on the ER hot fixes. Any Suggestions?

We are using CR8.5 and CE8.5 getting same random export failures. The instance shows as successful, and can be manually pulled from instance - but random email distributions of the historical instances to excel fail out. Anyone have any ideas what may be occurring?

Sorry - I should clarify that the "failed" email delivered exports do have the attachment - but without an appropriate program extension - so users are unclear as to how to open the distribution.

This problem is completely random and does not appear to be relative to the default job server utilized. 1 out of every 5 instances distribute successfully.

Ideas?

Hi,

When you ar setting up the job server for SMTP, Go to SMTP Destination setup, under File Name, Pick the "specified File Name", then select the title, click add, then enter dor(.), click add, then select File Extension from drop down list and click add again. It should look some thing like this:

%SI_NAME%.%EXT%

This way, CE will always append the correct extension at the end of file.

Hope this helps.

Vishal

Excellent feedback - thank you. Unfortunately, that is what I'm using today - still resulting in random distributions without the extension. Hmmmmm. So far, this has only occurred with excel formats. Any other ideas?

Hi,

Using this approach, CE should always append extension. Only thing I can think of restart the services and see it that helps. Usually this is not the right approach, but some times it helps.

Vishal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back