Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting display to Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsjo

Technical User
Sep 13, 2001
SE
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to export the display from a Solaris server to a MS Windows machine. When doing a rlogin from a VT100 terminal session on my windows machine and exporting the display to that machine - I get the message that the diplay can't be opened.
Please help.

Thank Jah For Da Music!

I use VNC for doing this. Run VNC server on the Solaris box and the client on the PC.

Better still, it's free and can be downloaded.

Steve

Depending on what your funds are, Exceed can also be used for the display. However, I would try VNC due to $$.

Thanks

T

If you are kicking off an X-windows GUI you will need an X server, such as Reflection or Exceed. I don't know if there is a free one out there.
VNC gives you access to the X desktop, but only at the expense of true multi-session functionality. It's great if all you want is to export one desktop over a decent speed network, but you will not be able to do basic things like cut & paste between desktops.
I'd recommend Exceed, but only since it is the only X server that I've used more than once.

Once you have the X-server all set up & you want to start the GUI, you will need to define which display it should start up on.
So;
$ export DISPLAY=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:0.0
$ ./program &
where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP that you have given your Windoze machine (you will have given your 98 box an IP already).
But you probably know that already, yes ? Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back